Dr. E.D. (Bert) Botma
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 2150|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen, Leiden Univ Centre for Linguistics, LUCL Engels|
P.N. van Eyckhof 4
2311 BV Leiden
Room number 2.05a
Phonology and overlapping areas of phonetics and morphology.
The contrast between sonorants and obstruents; nasals, nasalization and nasal harmony processes; laryngeal phonology; phonological features; English; Nivkh.
Assistant professor (UD1) in English Linguistics, Department of English Language and Culture, University of Leiden
Postdoctoral researcher (NWO/veni). Project title: “Crossing the great divide: The sonorant-obstruent contrast in phonology”
Winner of the LOT/Anéla dissertation prize 2005 for the best dissertation in Linguistics
Assistant professor (UD2) in English Linguistics, Department of English Language and Culture, University of Leiden
Doctorate in Linguistics (cum laude), University of Amsterdam
Various temporary teaching positions in Linguistics at the Departments of English, Dutch and General Linguistics, University of Leiden
Graduate student, Holland Institute of Generative Linguistics
Harting scholarship, University of Edinburgh
MA in Linguistics, Department of English Language and Culture, University of Leiden
English linguistics (BA), various courses in English phonology, morphology and historical linguistics (MA/MPhil); LOT Winterschool 2009 (‘The phonology of sonorants’, postgraduate course).
- Botma, Bert & Hidetoshi Shiraishi (2014). Phonological and phonetic aspects of Nivkh palatalisation: Articulatory causes and perceptual effects. To appear in Phonology.
- Kula, Nancy, Bert Botma & Kuniya Nasukawa (eds.) (2013). The Bloomsbury companion to phonology. London: Bloomsbury.
- Botma, Bert, Koen Sebregts & Dick Smakman (2012). The phonetics and phonology of Dutch mid vowels before /l/. Laboratory Phonology 3. 273-297.
- Botma, Bert (2011). Sonorants. In Marc van Oostendorp, Colin J. Ewen, Elisabeth Hume & Keren Rice (eds.), The Blackwell companion to phonology (Vol. I), 171-194. Malden, MA: Wiley Blackwell.
- Botma, Bert (in print). Dictionary of phonetics and phonology, ed. by T.A. Hall & Bernd Pompino-Marschall. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter (authored 35 entries and 1 article).
- Botma, Bert (2013). Crossing the great divide: The phonological status of voiced fricatives . Paper presented at the Phonological Forum 2013, Sapporo, August 2013 (invited speaker).
- Botma, Bert & Marc van Oostendorp (2012). The return of the syllable cut: Re-examining the Dutch vowel system. Paper presented at the 20th Manchester Phonology Meeting, Manchester, May 2012.
- Botma, Bert & Hidetoshi Shiraishi (2011). ‘Breaking as articulatory conflict resolution: the case of Nivkh’. Paper presented at the 19th Manchester Phonology Meeting, Manchester, May 19–21, and at the NWO/ELP Conference, Leiden, April 8–9.
- Botma, Bert (2010). Intervocalic voicing as suppression to sonorancy. Paper presented at the Leiden-London Phonology Workshop, Leiden, September 2010.
- Botma, Bert (2008). Aspiration, fricatives, and the multiple feature hypothesis in Icelandic. Paper presented at the Meertens Institute, Amsterdam, September 2008.
- Associate editor of Linguistic Variation, a journal published by John Benjamins
- Member of the advisory board of the Manchester Phonology Meeting and the Old World Conference in Phonology Reviewer for Lingua, Phonology, Language, International Journal of American Linguistics and Linguistics in the Netherlands, Nederlandse Taalkunde
- Contributor of the ‘Phonetics and phonology’ chapter for the Year’s Work in English Studies, published by Oxford University Press
- Editor of Linguistics in the Netherlands 2008 (with Marjo van Koppen) and Linguistics in the Netherlands 2009 (with Jacqueline van Kampen), published by John Benjamins
- Former secretary of the Dutch Linguistics Association (2009-2013)
Geen relevante nevenwerkzaamheden: