J. (Jeffrey) Kotyk
- PhD student
- East Asian Buddhism
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 5155|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen, Leiden Institute for Area Studies, SAS India en Tibet|
Matthias de Vrieshof 3
2311 BZ Leiden
Room number 0.03b
Buddhist Astrology and Star Worship in the Tang Dynasty
Supervisor: Prof. dr. Jonathan Silk
Leiden University (Leiden, Holland) 2014-Present
PhD Candidate in Buddhist Studies
- Presently studying for a PhD research degree in Buddhist Studies.
- Dissertation: Buddhist Astrology and Star Worship in the Tang Dynasty.
- Adviser: Jonathan Silk.
Komazawa University (Tokyo, Japan) 2011
Master's Degree in Buddhist Studies
- Concentrations: Classical Chinese language, Classical Chinese Buddhism, Buddhist History.
- Thesis: 法蔵の『梵網経菩薩戒本疏』に於ける価値観とその背景 (Japanese) / "A Study of Ethics in Fazang's
Commentary on the Brahma Net Sūtra and its Background."
- Advisers: Ishii Kōsei, Ishii Shūdō
University of Alberta (Edmonton, Canada) 2009
Bachelor of Arts with Distinction
- Major: East Asian Studies
- Minor: Chinese Literature
Kokugakuin University (Tokyo, Japan) 2006-2007
- Intensive study of Japanese language, history, religion and politics.
- Full cultural immersion program.
- Translating academic and non-academic materials from Japanese or Chinese into English.
- Employers: Dr. Ishii Shūdō, Nakamura Gyōmyō, Dharma Drum Mountain, Japan Association for Refugees.
2013-2014 International Buddhist Academy (Kathmandu, Nepal)
- Teaching intermediate and advanced English classes to students of various ages.
- Coach for English writing skills.
2012-2013 Dharma Drum Mountain (Taipei, Taiwan)
- Translation of Sheng Yen's work and other Buddhist related material from Mandarin Chinese into English.
- Editing, proofreading and consultation on matters related to Buddhist Studies and translation.
2009-2010 Geumgang University (Korea)
- The Formation and Transformation of Dilun Thought / 『地論思想の形成と変容』(Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Kokusho Kankōkai, 2010. (ISBN 978-4-336-05239-1)
*Note that all works by Sheng Yen have been translated for the “Complete Works of Sheng Yen” project of Dharma Drum Mountain, Taiwan. The publication schedule remains undecided.
Guo Jing, "Realization through Hearing in Chan Literature" in Journal of Chinese Buddhist Studies 27 (2014), 129-179.(禪宗語錄公案中耳根圓通及其應用).
Ishii Shūdō, "Dōgen's Views on Practice and Realization and his Dreamed Encounter with Damei Fachang" as presented at Special Session of the Society for the Study of Japanese Religions in Honolulu, Hawaii on April 2nd, 2011. To be published in Journal of Buddhist Philosophy.
Nakamura Gyōmyō, Buddhist Tales for the Soul. New Delhi: Sterling Publishers Pvt.Ltd., 2012. (ISBN 978-81-207-6841-3)
Nakamura Gyōmyō, Buddhist Tales in Modern Times: Stories of the Soul. New Delhi: Sterling Paperbacks, 2013. (ISBN 978-81-207-4445-5)
Sheng Yen, Assorted Essays (學術論考 I & II). Dharma Drum Mountain. (Forthcoming).
Sheng Yen, Commentary on the Praises of the Practices and Aspirations of Samantabhadra Bodhisattva (普賢菩薩行願讚講記). Dharma Drum Mountain. (Forthcoming).
Sheng Yen, Essentials of Bodhisattva Precepts (菩薩戒指要). Dharma Drum Mountain. (Forthcoming)
Sheng Yen, Master Sheng Yen's Commentary on the Sūtra in Forty-Two Sections (佛說四十二章經). Dharma Drum Mountain. (Forthcoming)
Sheng Yen, Master Sheng Yen's Commentary on the Sūtra of the Buddha's Bequeathed Teachings (佛遺教經). Dharma Drum Mountain. (Forthcoming)
Sheng Yen, Master Sheng Yen's Commentary on the Sūtra on the Eight Realizations of Great Beings (八大人覺經講記). Dharma Drum Mountain. (Forthcoming)
Sheng Yen, The Essentials of Buddhist Śīla and Vinaya (戒律學綱要). Dharma Drum Mountain. (Forthcoming)
- 2009-2011 Japanese Ministry of Education (MEXT) Research Student Scholarship.
- 2009 Jason Lang Scholarship (University of Alberta).
- 2008-2009 University of Alberta Undergraduate Scholarship.
- 2008-2009 Guy Stuart Phillips Memorial Award (University of Alberta).
- 2008 Undergraduate Academic Scholarship (University of Alberta).
- 2006-2007 Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Short Term Exchange Scholarship for study at Kokugakuin University, Japan.
- 2003 University of Manitoba Entrance Scholarship.
- English (native)
- Japanese (reading, writing, speaking)
- Classical Chinese (reading)
- Modern Mandarin (reading, speaking)
- Sanskrit (basic reading)