Dr. J. (Jelle) Bruning
- Islamic history
- Arabic papyrology
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 1396|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen, Leiden Institute for Area Studies, SMES APT|
Witte Singel 25/M. de Vrieshof 4
2311 BZ Leiden
Room number 0.16A
J. Bruning specializes in the social history of early Islamic Egypt. He conducts his studies mainly on the basis of documentary sources in Arabic, Coptic, and Greek. He has written a PhD thesis on the relationships between Fustat and its hinterland during the reigns of the Rightly-Guided and Umayyad caliphs. J. Bruning is also interested in medieval Arabic literature, medical literature in particular.
Ph.D. in early Islamic history, Leiden University (2014).
- “On the formulary of the dhikr ḥaqq in Sufyanid Egypt”, forthcoming.
- “The southern Egyptian border between 600 and 750”, forthcoming.
- “A reused piece of paper with a personal letter and a list”, forthcoming in the proceedings of the Third summerschool of Coptic papyrology.
- “Yūsuf b. Ibrāhīm b. al-Dāya (3rd/9th c.): a study into his life and works”, Journal of semitic studies 57/1 (2012), 97-120.
- “The Tuḥfat al-aṭibbāʼ wa-ḏaḫīrat al-aṭibbāʼ, ascribed to Ḥunayn b. Isḥāq, and the ar-Risāla al-Hārūniyya, ascribed to Masīḥ b. al-Ḥakam: two members of one family”, Zeitschrift für Geschichte der arabisch-islamischen Wissenschaften 19 (2010-11), 195-226.
Geen relevante nevenwerkzaamheden: