Dr. M.A. (Markus) Davidsen
- Assistant Professor Sociology of Religion
- Sociology of religion, new religions and alternative spirituality
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 2582|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen, Leiden Institute for Area Studies, LUCSoR|
Matthias de Vrieshof 1
2311 BZ Leiden
Room number 0.04b
My research interests include new religions and alternative spirituality, sociology of religion, semiotic and cognitive approaches to religion, and method in the study of religion. In my current project I employ online ethnographic methods to study ‘fiction-based religions’, especially religions based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s literary mythology or on George Lucas’ Star Wars films. The theoretical issues central to this project are textual persuasion, religious blending, and processes of rationalisation and legitimisation; I draw on comparative religion, narratology, and cognitive semiotics to address these issues.
- PhD (cum laude) in the Study of Religion, Leiden University (2014). Dissertation title: “The Spiritual Tolkien Milieu: A Study of Fiction-based Religion”. A limited number of printed copies of the dissertation are available for sale: 15€ for LU students, 30€ for others.
- MA in the Study of Religion, Aarhus University, Denmark (2008).
- Erasmus exchange student, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg (2007).
- BA, in the Study of Religion with a Minor in Cognitive Psychology and Neuropsychology, Aarhus University, Denmark (2005).
- University Lecturer (universitair docent), Sociology of Religion, Leiden University (since 2015).
- Teaching Associate (docent), Sociology of Religion and New Religions, Leiden University (since 2011-2015).
- PhD candidate, Aarhus University and Leiden University (2009-2012).
- Instructor, Aarhus University (2004-2007). [History of Religion (2004), Introduction to the Study of Religion (2005-2006), Philosophy of Science (2005), Religion and Modern Media (2007)].
A range courses in Sociology of Religion and New Religions/Alternative Spirituality. I currently teach the following courses:
- Topics in the Sociology of Religion (MA)
- Sociology of Religion (BA)
- Introduction to New Religions (BA)
- Alternative Spiritualities (BA)
- Fiction, Parody and Play in New Religions (BA)
Davidsen, Markus Altena (2012), “What is Wrong with Pagan Studies?”, Method & Theory in the Study of Religion 24(2), 183-199.
- 2013. “Fiction-based Religion: Conceptualising a New Category against History-based Religion and Fandom”, Culture and Religion: An Interdisciplinary Journal 14(4), 378-395.
- 2012. “Future Directions in the Sociology of Non-institutional Religion”, Implicit Religion 15(4), 553-570.
- 2012. “The Spiritual Milieu Based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s Literary Mythology”. In A. Possamai (ed.), Handbook of Hyper-real Religions. Leiden: Brill. 185-204.
- Danish Research Council for Independent Research (Humanities), 3-year international PhD scholarship (EUR 184,485), 2009-2012.
- Arenberg-Coimbra Group Prize for Erasmus Students (EUR 5,000) , 2009.
Secretary, Dutch Association for the Study of Religion (NGG), since 2012; board member since 2009.
Geen relevante nevenwerkzaamheden: