The Graduate School of Humanities has the responsibility for all master's, research master's and Ph.D. programmes in the field of Humanities. It is charged with the care for the research projects of the senior academic staff.
The Graduate School operates under the supervision of the Faculty Board. The Dean of the Faculty of Humanities is ex officio Dean of the Graduate School.
The Graduate School consist of six institutes, each with its own Academic Director. Senior and junior members of the academic staff have their appointment with one of these seven institutes:
- Leiden University Academy of Creative and Performing Arts
- Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (art history, film and media studies, literature)
- Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
- Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (Area Studies of Asia and Middle East, Leiden University Centre for the Study of Religion)
- Leiden University Institute for History (history)
- Leiden University Institute for Philosophy
The direct care and responsibility for of each the various master's and research master's programmes has been assigned to departmental boards, which are usually headed by a full professor, while the programmes operate under the supervision of the Faculty Board. For each programme, a board of examinors, a teaching and an admissions committee have been appointed. The academic directors of the institutes take care of, and are responsible for, the Ph.D. programme in the field of their institute.
The central Office for Teaching and Students Affairs provides administrative support for the various (BA and) graduate programmes in the Humanities.